Arroz Con Pollo! An authentic, Cuban chicken and rice dish that I had for the first time at one of my best friend’s houses. I was immediately obsessed and knew I had to make & share it!
It’s a one-pan wonder with just a few ingredients that’s PACKED with flavor. Toss the plain “chicken & rice” meals and add this upgraded one into the rotation.
Let’s get cooking!
- 2 lbs organic chicken (I used bone-in, skin-on 2 split breast & 4 drumsticks) - Boneless OR bone-in skin-on thighs work too
- 2 tbsp organic avocado oil
- Homemade adobo seasoning blend (1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pimiento stuffed spanish olives
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2.5 cups organic low sodium chicken broth/stock
- Homemade sazón seasoning (1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cumin)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup cilantro for garnish
- Place chicken in a bowl along with avocado oil and homemade adobo seasonings. Rub down the chicken coating all sides in the spice blend.
- Add butter to a large skillet/pot and melt over medium/high heat. Add seasoned chicken and sear until golden broth, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside to rest.
- Add diced white onion and half of the diced red bell pepper to the chicken juices/fat in the pan. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, olives, and tomato sauce, stir, and sauté another 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add homemade adobo seasoning blend and rice and gently mix them into all the ingredients until the rice is fully coated in the sauce/spices.
- Add chicken stock and bring to pot up to a simmer. Once bubbling, place the chicken on top of the rice, lower the heat to medium/low, and cover the pot tightly. Cook for 25-30 minutes, until all of the stock has been absorbed into the rice and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and stir in the frozen peas to the rice mixture (adding at this point will ensure they maintain their beautiful bright green color!).
- Add the chicken back into the pot, top with remaining diced red bell pepper and chopped cilantro, serve, and ENJOY!