For all the Cajuns out there, you know how delicious a big bowl of dirty rice is. For those (probably many) who are thinking… “what the heck is dirty rice?”, I’ve got you covered.
Dirty rice is a Southern side dish made from spicy ground beef, onions, bell peppers, garlic, broth, and rice. You cook the veggies down, brown and season the beef, and add cooked rice to the mixture. The seasoned ground beef colors the rice, creating our “dirty” white rice.
Today, we’re lightening up this traditional recipe and using CAULIFLOWER instead of white rice. And honestly y’all, it’s just as delicious. Can’t wait for you to try it out.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 lb grass fed organic ground beef
- 1 head cauliflower
- Cajun seasoning, to taste
- Chop celery and onion and add to a large pot with olive oil. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened and transparent.
- next, add in the ground beef and a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning, and cook until fully browned through. Try to mash the meat well to get any big clumps out.
- Make the cauliflower rice - remove the stem and leaves from your head of cauliflower and roughly chop.
- In small batches, add cauliflower to a blender and blend until a fine rice forms.
- Once finished, add cauliflower rice to the ground beef, combine well, and sauté another 5 to 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is cooked through.
- add more Cajun seasoning, to taste.
- Top with a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce and enjoy.