Jump to recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb seasoned sausage (Processed venison, smoked sausage, andouille, etc.)
- 1 lb dry red kidney beans
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning of choice (I used Tony's)
- Rice to eat under the beans once cooked
- To a large pot, add olive oil, onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Stir and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Chop sausage into bite sized pieces and add to the pot. Stir and continue to cook about 5 more minutes to lightly brown the sausage.
- Add dry kidney beans to a bowl along with water. Rinse the beans then drain.
- Add the rinsed beans to the pot along with cajun seasoning and all broth.
- Stir, cover, and cook over medium heat for 4-6 hours, stirring every 30-45 minutes.
- The beans will eventually burst, creating a smooth velvety texture as shown in the photos.
- If the beans get too thick, add more broth and continue to low cook until the beans reach a texture you prefer. If the beans are too thin and broth still exists, they are not done and need to continue cooking.
- Serve over rice, top with Tobasco sauce, and enjoy!