Aren’t the colors in this bowl just dreamy?! This Sweet and Spicy Crispy Tofu can go over vermicelli noodles, like pictured here, or can be served with jasmine rice, in a stir fry with cooked veggies, or even eaten by itself.
The spicy, tangy sauce we toss the tofu in is simply delicious, and can even be used in many different purposes such as tossed over chopped chicken or meatballs, or even used as a dipping sauce for egg rolls, spring rolls, dumplings, or wontons. It’s absolutely dreamy, and extremely versatile!
This recipe walks you through the step by step on how to press the liquid out of tofu to create the most perfectly crispy bites to add to your meals. Let’s get cooking!
Sweet and Spicy Crispy Tofu
- 16 oz block of hard tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Remove hard tofu from container and drain all liquid. Place tofu blocks on a microwave safe dish and microwave for 4 minutes, flipping mid way through. Drain all liquid from the plate and transfer tofu to a cutting board.
- Using paper towels, gently squeeze the tofu blocks to remove as much of the remaining liquid as possible. Once done, slice into 1/2 inch cubes and pat dry once more.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a nonstick skillet on high heat. Once oil is very hot, add tofu and crisp up about 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- While tofu browns, mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sriracha, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, ground ginger, and black pepper in a small bowl to make the sauce.
- When the tofu blocks are crispy on all sides, pour the sauce into the pan, stir until the sauce coats the tofu blocks, and reduce heat to low. Let the sauce simmer and thicken for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve in cold noodle bowls, over jasmine rice, or by itself.