KING CAKE… but make it SAVORY! “What?!”, you might say. Yes, indeed. Let’s take the king cake concept, and make it savory by stuffing the dough with boudin and cheese, then topping it all off with spicy pepper jelly, bacon, and green onions. How does that sound? LET’S GO.
- 2 8oz cans of crescent rolls
- 3 links of cajun boudin
- block of pepper jack cheese, cut into french fry shape
- spicy pepper jelly
- chopped green onions
- bacon bits
- Spread out the crescent roll dough into three columns.
- Remove the skin from the boudin and line each link up on each dough column.
- Using your fingers, smash the boudin down into the dough and add a stick of pepper jack cheese to each to create the filling.
- Roll up the dough to cover the filling into three cylinders. Coat a large rectangular baking sheet with cooking spray, and transfer the dough there.
- Connect the three at the ends to form a large oval. Spray the top of the king cake with more cooking spray.
- Bake about 20-30 minutes at 350F, or until dough is golden brown.
- Remove from oven. While still warm, use a spoon and spread pepper jelly over the top of the king cake to form the "icing".
- Top with bacon bits and chopped green onions, and enjoy!