Cold weather brings warm cravings! This week in Houston, the temperature DROPPED down in the 30’s. Pretty sure it’s the first time this winter that we’ve had 30 degree weather. I’m not going to lie, I’m secretly loving it – although 95% of Houstonians are bitter (get it?). Because we’re feeling the BRRRRRR, I decided to whip up a pot of this FEEL GOOD CHICKEN AND SUPERFOOD SOUP, that is absolutely life changing. My favorite soup I’ve ever cooked yet.
I made it once, polished off the pot, so I went back to the store the next day to make it again! I made a couple changes the second time around and prepared this soup to absolute PERFECTION for you guys. I just can’t wait for you to try it.
You’re probably wondering why I call it a SUPERFOOD soup, right?! Well, it includes all the most nutritient dense, flavor packed, seasonings and spices that create a unforgettable flavor and will also aid your immune system in preventing the “cold-weather bug” that creeps around when the temperature outside drops.
Here’s a few of the dry ingredients I used today:
I also used fresh ginger paste, minced garlic, bone broth, sea salt, and black pepper to complete this phenomenal list of ingredients. It’s so warm-tasting. Not only the temperature of the soup, but the flavor. It’s comfort food taken to the next level. You can also “fancy” this soup up and add some pasta at the very end!
Let’s Get Cooking!
- 1 lb organic, free range chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger)
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (red pepper)
- 6 cups bone broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup fresh English peas
- Place chicken thighs (skin side down) in your air fryer basket and cook on 350F for 20 minutes. Flip at the 10 minute mark.
- If no air fryer - Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, head olive oil in a large pot and add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes, covered, until onions become transparent and vegetables have softened.
- Next, add minced garlic and ginger paste to the veggies. Stir constantly and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Add in all seasonings, continue to stir, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add broth, stir well, cover, and bring to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once chicken thighs are finished cooking, remove from air fryer basket (or baking sheet), shred with two forks, and add to the soup.
- Deglaze the air fryer tin or baking sheet with 2 tbsp of extra chicken broth to remove all the cooked "bits" and add to the soup.
- Stir and cook 10 more minutes at a simmer.
- Just before serving, add English peas to the soup and cook 2 more minutes.
- Serve, garnish with fresh thyme, and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, youll also love mySweet Potato, Leek, and Andouille Sausage Soup,Vegan Lentil and Potato Soup, andHearty Beef and Vegetable Soup.
Yours In Health,