If you’re like me and you love anything ethnic and especially “Curried”, then this is the dish for you. It can totally be done without the added spices, but the Indian flare added to this casserole makes it that much more fun and delicious! I love casseroles because they are so simple and I can multi-task around my house while they’re baking up a storm. This recipe is actually one of the simpler casseroles I’ve made too! Basically, toss everything into a pan, bake it, stir it, bake it again, and DONE.
Before we get started, let’s talk TURMERIC. I’m sure you’ve heard of the magical spice that can also be called “Medicine”. It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties and is a strong antioxidant. What is an antioxidant? In simple terms, they are molecules that fight off free radicals (toxins) in our bodies that can harm our cellular structures. Who wouldn’t want to get rid of those? Not me! Ok ok, back to Turmeric… It can help to lower your risk for heart disease by improving the function of your blood vessel walls, it can be supplemented as a drug used to treat arthritis (due it being a powerful anti-inflammatory compound), and so many more magical properties! Basically, Turmeric is the S**T.
Here’s a scenario for you… Batman and Robin. Superheros and partners in crime. Robin is Batman’s sidekick, or the dude that will help you get the job done. To your body, Turmeric is Batman and Black Pepper is Robin. Nice, huh? Turmeric consumed by itself is wonderful, BUT consume it alongside black pepper, and it’s bioavailability and absorption will increase by a whopping 2000%! WOAH! Basically, use them like peanut butter and jelly.
Let’s get cooking!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Quinoa (I used white)
- 2 Cups Broccoli, raw and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1- 15 oz. Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Filtered Water
- 1- 15 oz. Can Coconut Milk
- Heat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, line chicken breasts, season with a pinch of the salt & pepper, and coat with olive oil. Cook 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven when finished and let cool.
- While chicken is cooking, coat a baking dish with cooking spray. To it, add raw quinoa, broccoli, chickpeas, garlic, and all seasonings.
- Shred cooked, cooled chicken with two forks and add it to the baking dish with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add 1 cup of water to the casserole ingredients, stir well to combine, cover tightly with foil, and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, stir, and cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven again, stir in the coconut milk, and cook a final 10 minutes.
- One final stir and SERVE!
If you enjoyed this recipe, post a photo and tag @PumpAndCrunch on FaceBook or Instagram 🙂
Yours In Health,