When you’re craving spaghetti and meatballs but don’t want the extra bloat from pasta, my Spaghetti Squash Meatball Boats are a dream come true. Spaghetti squash is an amazing low carbohydrate alternative for traditional spaghetti that tastes amazing! It’s a super fantastic vegetable to meal prep and eat during the week but my favorite is pairing it with meatballs and marinara. YUM!
Check out the full video from my Youtube Channel for the step-by-step on how I put together this fabulous one plate meal!
Let’s Get Cooking!
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/4 Cup Ground Flax Seed
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 1 Cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 24oz. Jar Marinara Sauce (*chef’s choice) – I recommend Rao’s Homemade
- 1/8 Cup Fresh Basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise down the center. Using a spoon, scoop the seeds and “guts” out of the inside of the squash and toss ’em.
- Lightly salt the flesh of the squash and place faced-down on a baking sheet. Add filtered water to the pan about 1/2 of the way full.
- Bake at 400F for 1 hour. Once finished cooking, remove from oven, flip them to flesh-side-up, and let cool.
- While the squash is cooking, let’s prep the meatballs! To a bowl, add ground beef, egg, flax, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, cumin, and paprika. Combine well and form into 1″ meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to a pan and cook about 5 minutes per side until browned and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- To the same pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Sauté on medium/low heat about 8 minutes, until vegetables have softened.
- Add marinara sauce, fresh basil, 1 tsp sea salt, and 1 tsp black pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add the meatballs into the marinara sauce, carefully stir, and set aside.
- Let’s assemble our squash boats!
- Using a fork and the squash skin to create a boat, lightly shred the spaghetti squash to form the “noodles”. This should look like pasta in a bowl!
- Spoon the meatball marinara sauce over your pasta boats, top with goat cheese and fresh basil, and ENJOY!!!
This recipe is so much fun to make, it’s absolutely delicious and a great low carb option, the meatballs and spaghetti squash separately are fantastic for meal prep, and it’s just darn beautiful!
Yours In Health,