Here we go again, squirrels. Another VEGAN, DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE “cheese” sauce that you’re going to absolutely drool over. The last vegan cheese I whipped up was made with Butternut Squash and it was so creamy and mouth watering. It was made with primary ingredients of coconut milk and butternut squash, blended together to create a decadent, smooth sauce that serves as a pasta sauce, dipping sauce, or even a marinade!
Today, I was craving some of my usual, and favorite Banza (chickpea) pasta and instead of using a processed, prepackaged sauce, I decided to make one of my own. The sauce I made stars eggplant and sweet potatoes as the main attraction and came out just as creamy and fantastic as my Vegan Butternut Squash Cheese Sauce! I struggle sometimes with eggplant and how to cook it, but blending it to create a sauce is definitely something I’ll be revisiting. I also love cooking my eggplant down with ground meat to make a low carb dressing. For the recipe, check out my Grass Fed Beef and Eggplant Dressing on my website as well!
I used my Ninja bullet to blend the sauce, but any blender, food processor, or immersion blender works great. This recipe is easy as pie, super inexpensive, and great for meal prep and reheating during the week. It’s also super versatile and can be used as a dipping sauce, pasta sauce, a base for a casserole (sub for cream of mushroom/celery soup) or even a marinade for chicken. 4 ingredients. Season. Blend. BOOM!
Let’s Get Cooking!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Large White onion, diced
- 2 Cups Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Cups Eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Cup Filtered Water
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and add onion and sweet potato to the pan, cook about 5 minutes.
- Add eggplant, garlic, vegetable broth, fresh basil, and all seasonings. Reduce heat to medium/low and cook until all vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add everything to a blender along with 1 cup filtered water. Blend until a smooth, creamy sauce forms and use it how you like!
I served mine tossed in Banza pasta and topped with fresh Goat Cheese and Hemp Seeds over a bed of fresh arugula. It was amazing!
Yours In Health,