Every week, I put on a Live video “show” on Instagram and FaceBook featuring a new recipe and the step by step process of how to make it. This past Monday, I was so stumped on what to make! Usually, my recipes are super quick, take under 30 minutes, and are healthy AF – all meal prep recipes! But this week, a friend of mine requested Paella. I had heard of Paella but had no clue really what it was or how on earth to make it. So I agreed to give it a try!
I did my research and found out that Paella is a Spanish dish of saffron rice cooked in a wide, shallow skillet, spiked with both meat and fish. It sounded delish, so I gave it a try – healthified! Although this recipe wasn’t featured on my weekly Cooking With Cail show, I couldn’t wait to share it with you guys on my website.
The traditional version of this recipe is made with white rice or a risotto, but today, I tried out brown rice for you guys. I also do most (all) of my grocery shopping at a local Trader Joe’s here in Houston, which is where I got my ingredients for this dish. A Spanish Paella recipe typically includes a wide variety of seafood including, shrimp, clams, mussels, lobster, etc., but Trader Joe’s only had shrimp, so I made due! Everything I used to make this recipe came from TJ’s, so if you have one in the area, you’ll be able to find everything there. If you don’t have a TJ’s (I feel bad for ya because it’s AMAZING, kidding love ya), you should be able to find everything just find at your local grocery store.
This recipe is fantastic for a dinner party to serve to your guests, meal prepping for the week, or if you’re just craving the ultimate comfort food on a lazy day. As always, my recipes are affordable, healthified, and absolutely delish. I can’t wait for you to try this one!
Let’s Get Cooking!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Rice
- 1 Large White Onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
- 2 Links Chicken Andouille Sausage
- 1 Lb Wild Large Shrimp (I removed the tails, up to you though)
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Pinch Saffron Threads (seriously obsessed with saffron after cooking with it in this recipe! AH!)
- 3 1/2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Steamed Green Peas
- Chopped Fresh Parsley for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, add wild shrimp, 1/2 cup of white wine, and all of the dried seasonings. Mix well and let sit at room temperature.
- Add vegetable broth and pinch of saffron to a small pot and bring to a simmer.
- In a large, shallow skillet, add 2 tbsp olive oil and white onion. Sauté about 5 minutes, until diced onions are transparent. Add minced garlic and sauté another minute stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Once onions and garlic are cooked, add brown rice and stir to coat completely in the oil. Add 1/2 cup of the white wine (the rest) and sauté until liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add saffron infused vegetable broth into the rice and onion mixture, cover, reduce to low heat, and cook 45 minutes – DON’T PEEK. Once finished, remove from heat and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, chop andouille sausage and add to a medium skillet along with 2 tbsp of olive oil and sauté until crispy on medium heat.
- Add marinated shrimp to the same pan as the sausage and cook until shrimp tails curl up, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once rice is finished cooking, add green peas and stir. Top saffron rice with cooked andouille sausage and shrimp.
- Spoon the leftover oil & juice from the sausage and shrimp over the top for extra flavor.
- Garnish your Spanish Paella with fresh parsley and ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF THIS MEAL.
Be proud of your cooking. You worked hard on it! Show off your meals, savor every bite, share what you made with friends and family. Flaunt your skills in the kitchen, you deserve the compliments and all of the “Yum, this tastes so good”s. Cooking is tough sometimes, but hopefully this was easy as pie for ya! Enjoy!
Yours In Health,