You’re probably looking at the name of this recipe and thinking, “Who the heck does this girl think she is, combining BBQ and Enchilada sauces?”. Hey, as long as you’re looking at the title, I’ll take it. Honestly, I was planning on this being solely an enchilada casserole, but I had a bit of BBQ sauce in my fridge and thought to combine them. To my surprise, it was delicious! I mixed the sauces, threw in some chicken and sweet potatoes, and sandwiched everything between some organic corn tortillas to create the mush masterpiece pictured above.
My style of cooking is what we southerners like to call “goolah”… no clue how to spell that actually and Google couldn’t even tell me. Essentially, it’s a term used to describe mixing all your food together. This casserole is one of those random goolah experiments that just so happened to turn into one of my new favorite casseroles. I can’t wait to you to try this one! Just from a hunch, I think the kids will enjoy it too.
Let’s get cooking!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 6 people
- 1 – 8×12 inch Baking Dish
- 12 – 6 inch Organic Corn Tortillas
- 1 – 15 oz. Can Enchilada Sauce (cleanest you can find)
- 1 Cup BBQ Sauce (cleanest you can find)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 lbs Boneless, Skinless, Free Range Chicken Breasts
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper/aluminum foil. Place chicken breasts on the pan, coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper, bake for 20 minutes, or until juices in the pan run clear.
- While chicken is cooking, heat olive oil and cook sweet potatoes on medium/low heat until tender. Remove from heat.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from oven and shred with two forks.
- In a large bowl, add shredded chicken, sweet potatoes, all seasonings, 1/2 cup bbq sauce and 1/2 can of enchilada sauce. Stir to combine and all chicken is coated with the sauce.
- Now time to layer up! Add a thin layer of BBQ and Enchilada sauce to the bottom of your dish, then line 6 corn tortillas on top to completely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Next, add all the chicken and sweet potato mixture.
- Top with mixture with the last 6 corn tortillas and top with the remaining BBQ and Enchilada sauce.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or until top tortillas are slightly browned and juices are bubbling.
- Top with fresh cilantro, serve, and ENJOY! – I added hot sauce to mine too and it was FIRE.
If you enjoyed this recipe, post a photo and tag @PumpAndCrunch on FaceBook or Instagram 🙂
Yours In Health,