Who doesn’t love tacos?! Shrimp tacos to be specific… I’ll wait. Tacos are one of my absolute favorite foods, and something I love to treat myself with often. These babies are a huge hit and take less than 20 minutes to whip up! What better to surprise your dad with this weekend on Father’s Day than some delicious tacos that the whole family will love?
Tacos are one of those foods that you can get totally creative with, and 99% of the time they will come out tasting amazing. It’s all about what YOU enjoy eating. First, decide your main component. I am a big seafood fan (shrimp in particular, because its so easy and affordable), so shrimp is a common food in my house. There ya go, shrimp was the main star of my tacos.
Next, let’s talk tortillas, or not! I’m not the biggest fan of flour tortillas because they are so heavy and the gluten kills my stomach, so corn tortillas are what I keep in my house. I also recommend gluten free tortillas made by Sieté, which are the BOMB (found Whole Foods). Also, if you’re not even feeling a tortilla, put exactly what you would on a taco over a big bed of mixed greens to make it a salad!
Lastly, let’s talk toppings… everyone’s favorite part, right? I chose to top my shrimp tacos with mixed greens, fresh cilantro, green onions, lime juice, and my Spicy Strawberry Mango Salsa, which paired PERFECTLY with the seafood, by the way. Other examples of toppings are:
- Your preference of cheese
- Avocado slices
- Fresh tomatoes
- Purple cabbage
- Grilled or Raw Onions
- Additional Spices
- Dressing or sauce of your choice
Building tacos are like creating art from a blank canvas! Your dad will especially love these because you made them from the heart. Get creative this weekend with your tacos!
Let’s get cooking!
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1 Lb of Wild Caught, Freshly Peeled and Deveined Medium Sized Shrimp
8 Organic Corn Tortillas
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
Spice Blend Ingredients:
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Black Pepper, coarsely ground
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 Tsp Celery Salt
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Green Onions, finely chopped
Spicy Strawberry Mango Salsa <– Click for the full recipe!
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, combine all seasonings in spice blend with a spoon.
- In a large ziplock bag, add peeled, deveined shrimp and spice blend. Massage the spices into the shrimp to make sure they’re all evenly coated.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add seasoned shrimp, and cook about 8-10 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through (flipping half way).
- While shrimp are cooking, take corn tortillas and lay across oven rack (as pictured) and cook about 5 minutes. – Tortillas will bend and harden across the rack in the oven, forming crispy shells!
- When shrimp and tortillas are finished cooking, remove from pan and oven, and now it’s time to assemble!
- Layer mixed greens, then shrimp, spicy strawberry mango salsa, and top it all with fresh cilantro, green onions, and a drizzle of lime juice.
- Next step, EAT!
If you enjoyed this recipe, post a photo and tag @PumpAndCrunch on FaceBook or Instagram 🙂
Yours In Health,