Personally, I’ve always had a hard time cooking with eggplant and I actually avoided it in the kitchen for a while (because I messed it up about a zillion times lol). One time I tried roasting circular discs, added WAY too much salt & olive oil, and served it to my family. You know how your family is supposed to tell you its good and you get an A for effort, well… none of us could even stomach the first bite. It was horrible. #NEVERFORGET
When it’s cooked right that is, eggplant is actually one of my all time favorites. Once I got over the horror of my eggplant disaster, I ventured out into the wild to attempt it again. I love eggplant because of it’s versatility. I’ve had it prepared numerous ways; for example, Asian-style recipes like curry or stir fry or prepared Italian-style and pan seared over pasta with red gravy. If you’re an eggplant fan like I am, you’re going to love this recipe! It’s one of those “One Pot Wonders” that can’t go wrong.
Let’s get cooking!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Serves: 6 people
- 1 Tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Lbs of 100% Grass-Fed Ground Beef (OR Ground Pork)
- 2 Large Eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 Large White Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Vegetable Broth
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onions & garlic. Cook about 5 minutes covered, or until transparent.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, stirring frequently.
- Add eggplant cubes, salt & pepper, and about 1/2 cup of vegetable broth. Cook COVERED on medium/low heat.
- Keep an eye on it and stir frequently. If the mixture starts to dry up and stick, keep adding about 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. Eggplant will soften and break down as it smothers and turn to a “mush” texture. If it starts to stick, add a bit more broth and cook covered for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, serve over brown rice, zoodles, or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, post a photo and tag @PumpAndCrunch on FaceBook or Instagram 🙂
Yours in Health,